Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Tiny Kitten

The drizzle plastered against my windshield as I turned off onto a steep mountain road. It didn't even cross my mind... I'd driven it thousands of times. At the top was my old house, where I had grown up.

I'd already been to work and was now coming to check on my dog. She lives with my brothers on the farm while I live down in town... today's concern was that she had broken her leg. I had to check.

Out of the corner of my eye I caught a flash of white, at first I thought it was a bunny hopping up the side of the road... but then it hit in realization. It was a kitten.

I stopped the car quickly, being only 50 feet away from the main road I knew if it headed down the mountain it would get hit. Checking my parking brake several times I climbed out of my car and went to the guard railing... looking over the side into the thick weeds and trees... I saw nothing.

I called 'kitty' and then meowed quietly before I finally heard it. Down a few feet a tiny bundle huddled under a fallen down tree - crying out. I kept calling... it stayed right there, eyes wide. I figured either terrified or feral.

With a sigh of dismay I got back in the car and went to check on my dog... but on my way back down the mountain I stopped the car again. The yowling screams crushed my heart as I kicked the car in park and turned it off. Alright... I'll try again.

The side of the mountain is roughly at a 50 degree angle... slush and mud from the rain. My first step over the railing sent me sliding over the embankment.

For 20 minutes I chased the little grey and white kitten through the undergrowth... covered in mud and soaking from the rain. I got close once, nearly touching but my foot slipped and he darted away.

Even more disheartened I climbed back up the mountain... got in my car and drove back down the mountain... as I got on the main road I could hear his terrified crying from up in the woods. I couldn't help myself.

Pulling my car over to the side of the road I clipped my keys to my belt loop, locked the doors and tried again.

This was a bit more rough, briars and jagged rocks blocked most of my access up the side of the mountain. I pulled my way up by roots and continued my chase until I could no longer see my hand infront of my face.

Sweat, mud, and tears streaked my face as he I got back into my car... feeling such misery for leaving a tiny baby alone in the woods to cry. I didn't sleep well.

Being at work at 6:00am has it's advantages. By 8am I have every phone number I possibly needed in order to either A) find someone to go and catch the kitten... or B) catch it myself.

Turns out however that no one has a live trap... and no one cared about the kitten. I had to come up with my own plan... luckily I've done this before.

One can of cat food, a small ferret cage, 4 feet of rope, and two cigarettes later I was ready to kitten hunt. I had doubts that the kitten had survived the night... he was small, not even 5 weeks old yet.

But as I pulled my car up to the same place again, I meowed... and he started crying instantly.

I set the cage up, flap down to the ground so I could quickly close the door by pulling the rope... can of food just inside.

My toes went numb as I crouched beside the guard rail... 45 minutes... barely moving as he inched closer and then backed away... over and over again. Then my time came.

He had positioned himself on the side of the door, trying desperately to get the can of food since he hadn't realized there was a door and with one quick pull he tumbled inside. The crying continued but I felt better.

Now... he's in my bathroom, terribly emaciated... looking scared to death and crying. Worse is that I am about to wash him. But at least he's safe.

Read more: http://www.myspace.com/melanthia_greystone/blog#ixzz0vZUqzz4i